Here are few tips that may come in handy when you are in Tirupati / Tirumala Hills and before you start your holy trip.
How to reach: Air, Railway, Buses and roads are all well connected to reach here.
Darshan Duration: My personal experiences have always been under 5 hours – right from the time I enter the first queue till I exit from the temple premises.
Time: Temple is open all seven days. Start early to finish early. There is no season – if you wish to visit Tirumala, don’t think twice.
Stay: There are plenty of options in Tirupati for one to stay in near the bus stand and railway station. Tirumala also has few places for stay. The devasthanam also offers accommodation which can found here. We found Mayura Hotel very neat, comfortable and customer friendly.
Food: There are lots of restaurants that serve yummy Andhra Food along with other cuisines. Don’t miss the Parupu Podi (Dal Powder) Rice and Gongura which is served as a part of Andhra Meals. We dined in Mayura Restaurant both in Tirupati and Tirumala Hills.
Travel: Tirupati is awake 24 hours and to find a bus, auto, taxis, jeep etc will never be a problem. If staying in a hotel, they can help with your commute as well.
People: Very friendly people until you get into a queue with them 😉
Climbing: There are two routes – Alipiri and Srivari Mettu (more about them here).
Site Seeing: Sila Thoranam, Papavinasam, Srivari Padalu, Chakrathertham Temple, Akasaganga. There are packages you can take for site seeing and the rates for the same are fixed by Tirumala Traffic Police (going by the Rate card these travel operators have and what the locals told us).
* Tirupati is a very safe place for Travelers and Tourists.
* Mobile Phones need to be handed in the luggage counters or leave it in your respective vehicles. Do Not try to take it with you as it will be seized by the security officials.
* Mostly people walk barefoot while climbing Alipiri and Srivari Mettu. Carry bags to keep your footwear with you.
* Take an empty bottle to refill water as there are many outlets to fill them while climbing upstairs.
* There are places in Tirumala Hills for people to take shower after walk etc. Restrooms are also built in many places.
* This city is maintained so well in-spite of the foot falls it gets so please cooperate by disposing things the way they are meant to be :).