Short version: There’s a lesser-known free shuttle bus between Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) and Don Mueang Airport (DMK) that you can take advantage of if you are planning a trip to Thailand.
Read on for the long version.
How to go from BKK to DMK for free
If you are planning your first trip to Thailand, perhaps you may not know this. Bangkok has two airports – Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) which is used by all the full-service airlines such as Thai Airways, Singapore Airlines, Air India and the likes and Don Mueang Airport (DMK) which is a low-cost hub and is used by Air Asia, Scoot, Indigo, SpiceJet etc. There are times when you try to book a flight to Chiang Mai or Krabi where OTAs will suggest a multi-airline ticket which may require you to shuttle between the two airports.
The two airports are 45 kilometres away, and no metro service connects the two. Thailand is famous for its scams, and the taxis and the tuk-tuks will truly take you for a ride (pun intended!). However, there’s a lesser known mode of transport that’s free – the free shuttle bus service from BKK (Suvarnabhumi) to DMK (Don Mueang) and from DMK to BKK.
Bangkok free airport shuttle timetable
The free Bangkok airport shuttle starts from 5 am until midnight every day. Below is the Bangkok airport shuttle bus timetable from Suvarnabhumi Airport to Don Mueang Airport.
The free airport shuttle schedule from Don Mueang airport to Suvarnabhumi airport is the same as in the above image.
Documents required to avail free shuttle transfer between Don Mueang and Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport and vice versa
Please keep the following documents ready to avail this free airport shuttle in Bangkok.
- Boarding Pass of the arrival flight (the one that you took to land at either airport)
- Ticket of the departing plane (the one you are taking to reach your destination
You will be asked to show these while boarding the free Bangkok airport shuttle.
Free shuttle transfer from Bangkok Suvarnabhumi airport to Don Mueang airport
Follow the instructions below to go from BKK to DMK for free.
- If you’re flying into Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK), cross immigration (you ought to be on Floor 2, do double check the signage) and head for the exit.
- When you enter the arrival hall (Floor 2), ignore all signs pointing you towards public transportation, buses, etc. and walk straight until you see Door 3 on your left-hand side.
- Leave the airport via Door 3 and turn right. You will see a small table with a few people standing around. Ask them for the free shuttle to Don Mueang Airport.
- Now’s when you will be asked to show the documents mentioned above.
- Once the free shuttle bus arrives, board it and be on your way to DMK airport. Please remember that this bus does not stop anywhere en route.
- The official time from Suvarnabhumi airport to Don Mueang Airport or the vice versa is around 50 minutes, but it can take up to 2 hours depending on the time of the day. So do take care to plan accordingly.
Do keep in mind, your flight itinerary must be for the same day or the following day to be eligible for the free Bangkok airport shuttle transfer between Suvarnabhumi Airport and Don Mueang Airport.
Are you looking for details on how to get from DMK to BKK? Here’s how you do it.
Free shuttle from Don Mueang airport to Bangkok Suvarnabhumi airport
Follow the same set of instructions as given above. The free shuttle from DMK airport to BKK airport departs from Terminal 1, and you will find it outside Door 6.
Are you planning a trip to Thailand? Check out these posts.
- Exploring Thailand: North to South of Thailand in 10 Days
- Thailand waives visa on arrival fees for Indian Citizens
- 4 Nights, 5 Days In Krabi, Things To Do And Places To See
- Exciting things to do on a trip to Thailand – Krabi Island Hopping
- Where to stay in Krabi: for first timers, solo travellers and families
- Chiang Mai, Thailand: things to do, places to see and more!
- A day trip to the Damnoen Saduak floating market and the bridge over River Kwai
- Staying at the InterContinental Bangkok: Hotel Review